Islet Production Core: Rates || Services
• Human Research Islet Isolation
• Mouse Islet Isolation
• Core Provided Consultation and Islet Techniques.
HUMAN ISLETS, FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY - The UCSF Islet and Cellular Production Facility
• 4,500-sq. ft. clean room laboratory on the UCSF Campus, which includes standardized and validated islet processing SOPs and a QA/QC management team.
Given that human tissues become available at unpredictable times, laboratories desiring human islets for research purposes must commit to receiving islets on short notice, with no opt-out possibility. The subsidized and reduced costs of human islet samples are made affordable only by extensive coordination amongst multiple laboratories. Participating laboratories share organ procurement and preparation costs whereas the Diabetes Research Center grant (P30 DK063720) provides the personnel support for each preparations. Please contact Gregory Szot to learn more about becoming a member of the human islet procurement consortium.
*Advanced Scheduling required - Islet availability variable.
MOUSE ISLETS – The UCSF Mouse Islet Isolation Facility
• 300-sq. ft. mouse procedure room dedicated to the isolation of murine islets located on the Parnassus campus.
If you would like to receive mouse islets, please contact the Core Manager Gregory Szot ([email protected]). The core can process islets from your specific strain of mice or the core can order specific mice from approved vendors and charge your laboratory for each purchase at the end of each month. In the event your strain of mouse this not on a typical background we normally process, we may request several mice for enzyme and isolation testing.
Two-week advanced scheduling is preferred: Core availability Monday through Friday*.
*In the event of a human pancreas islet processing, mouse islet processing may be adjusted and rescheduled. Mouse Islet procurement: Approved UCSF IACUC Protocol AN155387
CORE PROVIDED CONSULTATION AND ISLET TECHNIQUES
Islet Assessment and Quality Control
• How to assess islet purity and viability.
• How to individually dispersed islets into individual a-, b-, d-Cells.
• How to plan and run a Glucose-stimulated insulin secretion (GSIS) assay, in vitro
• How to execute Islet Perifusion (Equipment: BIOREP).
• Insulin & Glucagon ELISAs. (Mercodia)
• Human Islet Hormone Multiplex assays (Equipment: Quansys Q-View Imager LS and Mercodia AKURIO)
Murine Kidney Capsule Transplants
• Training and guidance how to transplant of islets or cells under the kidney capsules of mice.
• Post-surgical care procedures.
• How to induce diabetes in mice using Streptozotocin.
• IACUC approved procedures to add to your individual mouse protocols.